Whether you’re new to e-books or are looking to upgrade your current device, I’ll break down the differences between the Kindle, Kindle Paperwhite, and Kindle Oasis, so you can determine which is the best e-reader for you!
If you asked me what’s the one thing I would bring with me on a deserted island, it would be an easy answer for me. My Kindle.
I wasn’t always a Kindle fan. In fact, I purchased one and let it sit in a drawer for over a year before I started consistently using it.
I dropped all the typical excuses that you usually hear from non-e-book readers:
“I just really love the feel of holding a physical book.” “I miss being able to turn the page.” “It just won’t be the same!”
And I will admit, using an e-reader takes some time to get used to, but if you’re an avid reader or are looking to increase the amount you read, a Kindle will be 100% worth it!
In fact, here are some of the reasons why I love reading from a Kindle and why I think you will too.
Benefits of an E-Reader
- It’s lightweight and portable. Throw it in your bag and read while waiting for an appointment or while at your kid’s soccer practice.
- All your books are in one place. It cuts down on space and clutter in your home!
- It saves you money in the long-run. Sure, there’s an upfront cost, but you’ll be saving TONS long-term by not having to purchase paperbacks all the time.
- It’s great for night reading. You no longer have to fuss with a reading light or annoying your spouse by having a lamp on.
- It’s great for reading outdoors. Compared to an ipad or tablet, you won’t get any glare by reading out in the sun. And some of the Kindles are even waterproof so you can read in the pool!
- You can read in comfier positions. When in bed, I love to lay on my side, but that’s hard to do when reading a physical book. With my Kindle, I can get into the comfiest positions and still read!
- You’ll read more. I find that I read much faster on my Kindle and faster reading means more books!
Now that you know all of the benefits of e-reading, it’s time to talk about which Kindle will be the best e-reader for you. Let’s break it down…
Choosing the Best Kindle E-Reader For You
Amazon offers three different versions of its Kindle e-reader.
All Kindles offer the basic functionality of being able to adjust the font size, font family, margin sizes, line height, brightness, and more. They all have wi-fi capability built-in so that you are able to browse the Kindle store and download books directly from your device.
However, there are some major differences in price and functionality between the three options so keep reading if you want to learn more.
Cost: Starting at $89.99
Screen Size: 6″ glare-free
Screen Resolution: 167ppi
Colors: Black or White
If you’re just looking to give e-readers a try or don’t need a lot of frills when it comes to your reading, the Amazon Kindle will be a great option! Being the most affordable kindle in the line-up, it has a lower screen resolution and doesn’t have the flush-front design that the other two offer, but neither of those will impact your reading experience.
However, this device is not waterproof, so if you are looking to read by the pool or in the bath, you’ll want to consider the other two Kindle options.
Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
Cost: Starting at $129.99
Screen Size: 6″ glare-free
Storage: 8GB or 32GB
Screen Resolution: 300ppi
Colors: Black, Twilight Blue, Sage, or Plum
The biggest benefit of the Kindle Paperwhite in comparison to the regular Kindle is its waterproof design. It also has a higher resolution and a flush-front, glare-free screen so that it reads like real paper.
If you plan to do a lot of reading by/in the water and don’t want to break the bank, the Kindle Paperwhite will be the best e-reader for you!
Amazon Kindle Oasis
Cost: Starting at $249.99
Screen Size: 7″ glare-free
Storage: 8GB or 32GB
Screen Resolution: 300 ppi
Colors: Graphite or Champagne Gold
The Kindle Oasis has all the benefits of a Paperwhite but offers a slightly larger screen and buttons that allow for easier page-turning. It also has an adjustable warm light and auto-adjusting light sensors so that your eyes get less fatigued.
It also has auto-rotating page orientation so that if you need to switch hands, the page will rotate with the device. (Because of the buttons, this is the only Kindle device you will need to rotate if you want to switch hands.)
The Kindle Oasis is great if you are a dedicated e-book reader or looking for a super comfortable reading experience, this is the best e-reader for you!
What to Know When Purchasing an Amazon Kindle Device
- You will have to choose how much storage you want. The Paperwhite and Oasis offer 8GB and 32GB options and what you choose will be dependent on how many books you plan to store on our Kindle. If you are mainly using Kindle Unlimited or Libby, you won’t need to worry about storage space.
- It will ask if you want to purchase it with or without ads. You’ll notice that purchasing an “ad-supported” Kindle is slightly cheaper than the “without ads” option. If you are looking to save an extra $20, I promise that the ads will not interfere with your reading experience AT ALL.
In fact, ads are only displayed as a screensaver when your device is in sleep mode and at the bottom of your devices home screen. You will never see ads while reading a book.
- It will ask if you want to try 3 months free of Kindle Unlimited. If you aren’t already using Kindle Unlimited, I HIGHLY suggest taking advantage of this offer, because it’s the only time you’ll see them offer a 3 month trial. There is no price different when you select the free-trial and you can always cancel if you don’t want it to renew.
Click here to learn more about Kindle Unlimited >>
- Adding a Popsocket to your Kindle is a GAME-CHANGER. Holding a Kindle isn’t always the most comfortable and I can’t tell you how many times I dropped it on my face while in bed. HOWEVER, putting a pop-socket on the back of my Kindle completely changed my reading experience and made e-reading 100x more comfortable. It’s a must-have!
Check out Pop Sockets here >>
- Your life will be forever changed. As an avid reader, my Kindle has been an absolute god-send and I’ve actually learned to love e-reading more than reading a physical books. (Shhh don’t tell my bookshelves!) The ease and convenience of being able to read whenever and wherever I want is monumental. Not to mention, I’m able to read more at a faster pace!